One of the most common comments we get from new home buyers is that they would like to build their home in Spring. Unfortunately, many clients first approach us in Spring and by then it is too late for a spring start.
The general rule of thumb is that it takes one full season before you can start building your new home, sometimes it takes even longer if you are heavily customizing your plans or you tend to take longer to make decisions.
It typically takes 90 days from when you come to an agreement on building a new home until the time that your builder is able to break ground.
Why is that?
Well, there are a lot of steps along the way and unfortunately many of these steps require action or completion on another item before proceeding forward. Think of it like a series of dominoes. In order to knock a few down, you have to start at the beginning and knock one down at a time.
Items that need to be completed before building:
- Financing must be applied for and approved
- Plans need to be drawn
- The home needs to be located on the lot (or surveyed)
- Calculations must be made on the efficiency of the home
- Engineering must be done on the structure to meet the new sheer wall requirements or wind bracing rules
- If a septic system is on the lot, a sanitary permit must be applied for. This also requires a survey and system design
- The home plans must be approved by a homeowner association
- Builder’s risk insurance must be in place
- Color selections must be done
Other requirements that may be needed depending on building areas in Wisconsin:
- Zoning permits may be needed
- A special review board may be required
- Heating designs may be required
- Framing specifications may also be requested by the inspector
As you can see, there are a lot of requirements that need to be met before you start building a new home in Wisconsin. The key is to find a reputable builder Wisconsin who can guide you through the process. The other important thing is to help your builder out by turning in and completing required materials in a timely manner. Remember, any changes you make will likely delay the start date so think long and hard before you make alterations. The longer you wait to make changes the more difficult and more time may be lost.
So if you are excited about building a home this upcoming Spring, you should be talking to your home builder in the beginning of Winter. Winter started December 21st, so what are you waiting for…give your builder a call today and get started!
If you would like more information about the home building process, please feel free to contact us!